Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What is it? Set 248

On 2008-09-04, Rob H. wrote:
A new post has been added to the web site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1399) Interesting. It looks as though it is intended to cut
two parallel grooves -- perhaps on either side of a
round-bottomed groove for decorative woodwork. The round shaft
appears to be spring-loaded so it would act as a guide, but
would retract with pressure allowing the rows of knife blades on
either side to come into contact with the workpiece.

1400) O.K. I have a question. Are the brass (or possibly bronze)
pieces free to rotate on the axis defined by the handles?

If so -- I might consider it to be a tool to use to guide a belt
or rope back onto a pulley.

If not -- I have no idea.

1401) I have no idea what the building is (or was) for, but it would
appear to require bringing in a lot of sunlight for some
purpose. Perhaps to trap heat?

1402) These seem to mostly be pulley blocks with load hooks, or more
primitive versions with the rope sliding through a smoothly
finished hole angled to make the rope slide smoothly.

1403) The long-handled object, not the really long saw I presume.

At a guess, it is for twisting a tree which is being cut down
to better control where it will land.

1404) Looks like something designed to screw into a hay bale to lift
it -- and perhaps to allow it to be swung over to be lowered
into some form of carrier or transport device.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564