Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Lugs in a barrel, a machining question.

trg-s338 wrote:

Some rifles have the bolt engaging lugs machined directly into the
barrel itself. I've been informed that some replace barrels in such a
system by cutting off the lugged section of the old barrel and
threading that onto a new one. Is it really that difficult to
directly machine lugs onto a new barrel and thus eliminate this
creation of a third part, a barrel extension AR 15 style? Can this
replication of the original barrel be done by a home machinist? What
process and tools would be involved, perhaps some internal grooving
and metal shaper work to cut the lugs or is it much more involved?
Any perspective on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okay, we get a bit of headspace. Lots of headspace could be a real issue, did the bolt
lug set back or the reciever recess set back, was it overloaded? The typical repair for a
barrel is to screw it off, turn shoulder of barrel the proper amount and put it back on.
Barrels with iron sights need setting it back farther and then a ream job.

Putting the lug recesses in the barrel is doable though. I'd make the bolts with long
lugs and select fit them. Enough lug and you can grind it back to fit.

Repairs would be bitch though if you had lug setback and the rifle wasn't ruined. I'm not
sure I'd want to shoot a bolt that had been tig'd.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller