Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT It runs in the vice presidential family

wrote in message
On Sep 1, 5:25 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

No, HERE's the real question. What are people who consider themselves
family-values conservatives doing shrugging off the daughter's pregnancy?
Aren't these the same people who tell everyone else to abstain before
marriage?

Aren't they the ones who blast Democrats for promoting sex education and
condom use? Or do these people change color like chameleons when the shoe
is
on one of their feet?

You can bet they'd be raising hell right now if she was a Democrat. I
doubt
if even you have enough bull**** in you to convince anyone here
otherwise.

--
Ed Huntress

Are you saying that the parents are responsible for their childrens
actions?

No. I'm saying that many SOCIAL CONSERVATIVES make that claim. And McCain's
campaign operatives would have picked up on it in a New York minute if the
shoe had been on the other foot.

"[Minnesota] House Minority Leader Marty Seifert spoke of the importance of
the veto pen: "We are working day in and day out to protect our values.
There are people upstairs who will boil the frog of undoing the family, of
undoing our traditions, of building up government piece by piece, while
tearing down parental responsibility piece by piece. It is our job to make
sure we are the defenders of freedom, defenders of personal responsibility,
defenders of family values "

The conservative literature is loaded with references to it.

And therefore we should say anyone with a child that does
something wrong, should be castigated? Or should people be judged on
what they do? Not what their parents do, or children do, or
associates do.

Again, we're talking about a long-time talking point of conservative
thought, which is that parents bear responsibility to raise their children
according to socially conservative principles. That includes not getting
pregnant out of wedlock.

During the '90s, conservative legislators passed parental responsbility laws
in over 20 states. Many of them concerned parents' responsibility for their
childrens' violations of laws but the language of many of them made it clear
that the motivation was broader than that. And it's a common topic from the
pulpits of conservative churches.

BTW, the ACLU managed to get most of the parental responsibility laws
overturned.

--
Ed Huntress