Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Making a Motorcycle Engine

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:05:52 -0500, "James Newell"
wrote:

snip
Remember this thing does not have to win races, or travel to the ends of the
Earth...Just your basic engine that runs, doesn't blow up, gets 50-60 MPG,
last 10K to 15K miles. (lasting longer is fine, but I kind of felt that with
the splash lubrication of a B&S limited my expected life). It would power
something like a Simplex (http://www.servi-cycle.com/history.htm).

snip

I have owned two Honda 550 4 cylinder motorcycles. A 1976
and a 1978. The 76 would get ~35 mpg and the 78 ~38 mpg.
They were pretty simple designs, air cooled, chain drive.

And ya, I know how to check the mileage. My current Honda
Magna VF700C gets ~45 mpg. Maybe 48 mpg if I stay under 50
mph and really try hard for mpg.

Watch your motor size, cooling and such if you really want
50-60 mpg...

I would keep my eyes open for old Honda's (mid 70's) in need
of repair and then use your equipment to create your own
Frankenstein from them

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b