Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_2_] Stephen[_2_] is offline

Default wall chasing

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:55:39 +0100, John Rumm

On 19 Aug,
John Rumm wrote:

It reduces it a little, but not much. Column C is the normal figure for
"clipped direct" or a cable buried directly in plaster. Using conduit
results in de-rating to the figures shown in column A. So 2.5mm T&E
drops from 27A to 23A

And then you stick two cables in and it drops to 19.5, just below what is
necessary for a ring.

Two smaller conduits solve that problem, and are often easier to thread
anyway.

I wonder if you can help me? I have a socket that is halfway up the
wall and I would like to lower it to a more sensible level. The wires
to this socket are run in the metal capping you describe. I am
concerned because both wires are run together and having read the
above post it sounds as though the cables are rated at 19.5A "below
what is necessary for a ring".

When I lower the socket would it be a good idea to remove the capping
and replace it with two conduits? If this one socket is like this, I
suppose the rest of the house is. Should I be alarmed?

When you say the cable rating drops from 27A to 19A, does this mean
the rating of the whole ring drops, or just that section?

Thanks,
Stephen.