Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Tocord

Archimedes' Lever wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

Zip cord is fine. People who can hear the difference in speaker
cables, or RCA interconnects, or power cords, are delusional.

I'd agree with the bit about RCA interconnects unless when driven from hi_Z
outputs like nutty tube amps.

However different gauges certainly of zip cord can make readily measureable
differences in frequency response at the load end.

Speakers aren't all resistive.

Since the range of "audio signal" we "listen to" is ALTERNATING CURRENT,
and speaker transducers consist of a COIL OF WIRE, I would argue that
they are ALL Z, and very little R while in operation.

If you're clever you can make them pretty damn close to R by spending extra
money with 'driver impedance compensation' components. I did this with a design
a friend and I both have a pair of using Mathcad. He was thinking of taking it
to market but the audiophools thought it sounded too accurate !

Interestingly speaker with low reactance often sound very good even on cheap
amps because they present such a benign load.

Graham