Posted to alt.home.repair
Roaddoctor Roaddoctor is offline

Default Use Urethane Polymer (FloMix) on a Slopping Driveway?

On Sep 3, 11:40*am, Jay Chan wrote:
On Sep 3, 9:00*am, Roaddoctor wrote:

On Sep 2, 8:53*pm, Jay Chan wrote:

I want to know if I can use urethane polymer (such as FloMix) to
repair cracks in an asphalt driveway that is not on a level group.

I have many cracks at the bottom of an asphalt driveway where the
driveway meets the roadway. *I have tried using those crack filling
material in a bottle or in a tube. *None works well. *I put them in
early fall, and then I would see cracks re-developing in the following
year. *I need a better material to fix the cracks.

I see that there is a different product called urethane polymer that
is supposed to last very long and is pourable. *This is good. *But
when I watch the instruction video on that product in YouTube, I find
that the product seems to be very watery -- like leveling compound. *I
am wondering how I can use it on a surface that is not very level --
like where my driveway meets the roadway -- I think there is a 20-
degree slope on that part of the driveway. *Is it going to flow away
from my driveway into the roadway? *According to the manufacturer FAQ,
the material is too flowable and won't hold shape for building up a
speed bump. *But they didn't mention anything about not being able to
be poured onto a ramp. *I would like to know if other people may have
used this product and what their experience are regarding applying it
in a ramp.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jay Chan

Jay, I am a USA manufacturers rep of the FloMix material. I work for
the National Distributor, PTI Pavement Repair Products, found on the
web athttp://www.pavepatch.com. You can use FloMix on a slope... look
at the picture gallery and you will see several examples. The slump of
the FloMix material can be controlled simply by how long you mix the B
component. A longer mix will start you with a heavier slump which is
less likely to run on you. You can also use Kraft Paper and Duct Tape
to mask off the downhill side in case you get a small polymer run.
Very simple to do.
Look at image 63http://www.pavepatch.com/gallery_flomix.php
Look at image 14 and 15http://www.pavepatch.com/gallery_flexset.php
(FlexSet is the same material, just gray for concrete repair)

You can also build ramps with the material without much difficulty. We
do a lot of work building small transition ramps for fork lift traffic
entering and exiting warehouses... It works great and does last a very
long time as you mentioned.

If you have any questions I can be reached thru our Contact us pagehttp://www.pavepatch.com/contact_us.php

Best regards,

Dave J- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the tip of increasing the mixing time to make the product
less "thin". *Great!

I plan to do these:

1. * I can start with standard mixing time to get the product in a
thin flowable *state to take care of some cracks in the level area of
my driveway and also pour it deep into the cracks in the slopping area
of the driveway where the driveway meets the roadway

2. * And then I can mix some more to get the product into a less
flowable stage to overlay on top of all the cracks in the slopping
area of the driveway where the driveway meets the roadway.

This should work, right?

I guess the tricky part is to finish applying the thickened product
fast enough before the product starts setting up. *Seem like I need to
mobilize all the family members to work on this together.

One more question:
* * *How soon can I apply a coat of black top sealer over the areas
patched with FloMix? *I am hoping that I can do everything in one day.

Thanks in advance for any following up reply.

Jay Chan- Hide quoted text -

Yep - your plan is as it should be. Do not worry about the nominal
loss of working time when mixing slightly longer. You will still have
plenty of time to manipulate as needed and then apply the topping
sand... especially if you have a helper.

You can apply a black top sealer 1 to 2 hours after installing the
Flomix. Its not nescessary or required (as FloMix is impermeable) but
is often done to cosmetically unify the driveway surface. Once seal
coated it will be hard to tell where repairs were made.