Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question about CNC lathes

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2008-09-03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
... a sliding gear on the shaft ... I guess there could be a lot of stick-slip!!

But you should have a well-lubricated worm gear in there which
will help a lot.

You give me hope - thanks.

I bought a servo amp on eBay last night -...

I also see that it has adjustable current limits. On DC servo
motors you will proably find a "maximum current" spec. Don't exceed
this, as it can partially demagnetize the permanent magnet field
current.

I suppose that's a real problem with servos - where the amp can really
goose the motor when it's falling behind.

You will still have to build or find an appropriate power supply
for the voltage which your servo motor wants.

Maybe yet another app for the venerable MOT G. I'd only need
buck/boost on the ac line, a bridge, & cap. Yes?

Thanks,
Bob
--
Nota for President