Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Making a Motorcycle Engine

James Newell wrote:
Has anyone seen a home built, viable, IC engine? Specifically a
single cylinder motorcycle engine typical of the early 1900s. Not
the fastest in the world, just viable.

I know it can be done, because it has been done.but I just can't seem
to find anyone on the internet who has done it.

Any ideas.direction?

I was thinking cast cases, with more common/modern/avaiable internals.

Thoughts...cheers....jeers?

Check out the castinghobby group at yahoo.com for starters . Lotsa good
info there for your cases . As far as internals , you might consider
modified Harley crank parts - or homemade parts of similar design .
Shortened crankpin , run modified Sportster cams . How ya gonna lube this
thing ? I presume you want overhead valves ? Gonna be some interesting core
work on that head !
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"