Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Brick BBQ revisted

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

fter gutting, the unit walls were too flimsy but the door is salvagable.
So, after cutting the front off we have the front piece with a door in
it. This is planned to be set back and used for the front of a deep pit
with racks inside. Conviently it had 2 already with the oven though we
dont expect them to be super long lasting under outdoor grill conditions.

An oven door on an outside barbecue? Cool. Be sure to take some photos
as construction progresses.

Bad news. Cool plan but it turned out there was more bad mortar along the
back wall and 2 corners. It wasnt obvious but the whole unit was crumbling
out. It was one thing to rebuild 'a bit higher' but now it's a complete rip
out and restart. There's just no point to building on a bad base.

Don's saving what bricks he can and going to make a nice big base (main
problem is the base such as it is was poured down inside it, with bricks
just on the dirt it turns out). Sounds horrible but keep in mind is lasted
well for some 15 years or so.

So, we had to shift. Don's going to finish ripping it all out the whole
thing, properly regrade the ground, pour a proper foundation big enough for
the larger propane or gas grills, and a second side area for a later brick
unit like 'the beast' but in a shorter size.

We found a plan to use but it's in a book from the library.

Think of 'the beast' but only about 3ft tall with a flat top and the oven
door in it with racks. Now, to the side add a smaller 'fire and chip'
brickwork box that has a smoke and heat pipe to the bigger side, with a
front door such as you see on fireplaces for the ash trap. The flat top
portion of the taller part with the oven door will be built of metal,
powder coated to match door. This wont make a true 'grill surface' but will
be enough to serve as a 'warmer' area and it will be set down a bit below
the brick level (with small drain gaps) so as to be reasonably child safe.
We kinda figure the oven door alone will get that idea across (HOT! grin).

The downside is that project is going to take awhile, so cant build it this
year. We will measure and pour the base this year, then have a small but
suitable portable smoker/grill (charcohol type) for use while fixing the
other, which will work until we finish.

Once built though, I think it will be a nice enhancement to the house and if
a later person doesnt want nice store bought grill to match the brick
smoker, they will have a base big enough to extend the brickwork onto to
make one.

*sigh* Poured base this year though. Rats.