Luigi Zanasi

Default Heirloom furniture with plywood?

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:22:36 -0400, Silvan
scribbled

Juergen Hannappel wrote:

but evidently some of the stuff we brought in at work is using a new
technique where they unroll a log in a long, continuous sheet instead of
sawing it more conventionally.

This is not exaxctly a new technique, it dates back at least as far as
the middle of last century, in german it's called "Schälfurnier".

I didn't know that. The boss was going on and on about it like it was
something that just got invented 10 years ago.

In English, it's called "rotary cut" veneer (like unrolling toilet
paper). Most construction plywood veneers are cut that way, as well as
most red oak plywood and some other woods. Many good quality hardwood
veneers (not all) are also sliced using a knife, but a using
half-round, quarter, rift or flat slicing. I don't think saw-cut
veneers are commercially available any longer. The following page
shows the different methods of slicing veneer and will test your Linux
ingenuity as it uses Quicktime. :-)

http://www.commonwealthplywood.com/e...r/index.shtml#

You might go here also, which has static pictures.

http://www.tapeease.com/typesof.htm

or

http://www.forestplywood.com/veneer.htm

Luigi