Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Making a Motorcycle Engine

On Sep 3, 12:19*am, "James Newell" wrote:
Has anyone seen a home built, viable, IC engine? *Specifically a single
cylinder motorcycle engine typical of the early 1900s. *Not the fastest in
the world, just viable.

I know it can be done, because it has been done.but I just can't seem to
find anyone on the internet who has done it.

Any ideas.direction?

I was thinking cast cases, with more common/modern/avaiable internals.

Thoughts...cheers....jeers?

I haven't done it, but if you can find copies of "The Model Engineer"
magazine from the early 1900s, there were plenty of how-to articles on
building motorcycles and altering existing bicycles. Note that the
bicycles back then seemed to be a lot more heavy-duty that what's
currently available. Most conversions used a single cylinder engine
replacing the upright under the seat and a big leather belt to drive
the rear wheel. "The Model Engineer" was a staple of British
modelmaking for decades, sometimes it was a weekly, sometimes a
biweekly. A lot of big-city libraries have back issues, either as
bound volumes or on microfilm. The college library had all the issues
back to volume one, they covered just about everything you could think
of that you could make in a small shop and then some. In later years,
it was more oriented towards the live steamer folks, but in the early
years it had a lot of different projects in it. I've got reprints
from the first decade, they are worth having.

Stan