Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Pub mains supply problem?

"N Cook" wrote in message
According to Regulation 27 of ESQC Regs 2002, UK mains should be
230V +10% - 6%, which gives a range of 216V to 253V.

I variaced up to 250V , switching on and off a few times, giving HT1 of
464
, nicely stable with amp under load.

A thorough inspection of all components only revealed slightly loose nuts
holding the iron laminations on the filter choke, which I cannot see as a
problem. Otherwise inside and out it looks brand new, only some of the
large
binding post (lead-free of course everywhere ) solder joints looked grey
but
otherwise sound.

Whats the teams opinion of adding 300mA axial (so quickblow) fuses in each
of the two EL34 anode supplies as well as the 500mA (T) regular fuse ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Oddly enough, I had an amp in a few weeks back (can't remember what it was
now - oh to be young again ...) which had a pair of rear panel fuseholders.
This amp used 4 x EL34 I seem to recall, and each fuseholder was located in
the anode feed of each valve pair. They were actually labelled "output valve
fuses". In all the years I have been mending these things, I can't ever
before remember seeing fuses in this position. Interestingly, I have an old
AC30 in at the moment which has shorted turns on one half of the output
transformer. This has completely thrutched the output valve on that half -
the anode was glowing orange and the inside of the glass is badly flowered.
Had the unit have had anode fuses, I guess the appropriate one would have
opened and saved the valve. But in general, I am not in favour of altering a
design, if only for that fact that it may compromise any electrical safety
approvals that the equipment has.

Arfa