Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Repairing stone walk steps

Ben wrote:

On Aug 30, 11:03*am, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Ben wrote:
I have a stone walk from the front of my house to the driveway,
which has three steps. *The stones that form the top step have
come loose and I want to reset them. *These stones sit half on
dirt and half on other stones that serve as risers from the step
below. *I couldn't tell if there was any gravel or sand used
under the half on dirt. *For the other half, it looks as though
something was used between the riser stone and the step stone,
but roots have grown in between and compromised whatever was
there.

Any suggestions as to how I should reset these stones?

Here's how a handyman would do it:
** Remove the loose stones.
** Make sure all remaining stones are completely stable. If not,
remove those too.
** Remove half an inch of the dirt underneath the tread.
** Remove the mortar that was sealing the tread to the riser.
** Compact the remaining dirt. You can pound it with the end of a
4x4 if you don't have a compactor. Get it good and solid. Add more
dirt and compact it until you have about half an inch of room
between the dirt and the tread. It will probably line up with the
top edge of the riser. ** Put a bed of mortar on the dirt and the
top edge of the riser. ** Moisten the back of the stones, then
butter them with a thin coat of mortar. This makes them stick
better to the mortar bed. ** Position the stones where you want
them. Make sure they tilt toward the front just a little so water
drains off. ** Tap the stones with the butt of your trowel to seat
them. ** Put mortar in the joints.
** Smooth the joints with your finger. Don't forget the one under
the front edge.
** Use a damp sponge to clean off the mortar on the stone face.
** Double-check that the stones are positioned properly and tilt
forward for drainage.
** Put up barriers inside and outside to keep people off for 24
hours.

Now's a good time to put your initials in there somewhere for
posterity.

Thanks, Steve. That's a really helpful guide.

Let us know how your project goes. Some pictures would be nice, too.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement