Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Shower wall fell down

On Sep 2, 6:33*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
On Sep 1, 9:33 pm, Joel wrote:

My daughter was taking a shower and part of the tile wall fell down.
Underneath there is drywall and it is wet and rotted. The studs are
also rotted.
I plan to rip it all out replace the rotted studs, cover with moisture
barrier, cement board and retile.
Is there a good description / tutorial on replacing studs? I wonder
why builders are allowed to construct bathrooms like this, you would
think it should be against the building code.

Thanks

Boy what a rip. Essentially the same thing happened to me -- owners
before us took out the old claw foot tub and put in a modern tub &
shower - and just slapped tile right on the plaster wall. *No hint of
trouble until it just started crumbling. *You are on the right track
for how to fix it. *A good reference on how to do the tile right is
"Setting Tile" from Taunton Press -- very specific instructions on how
to get the waterproofing right. *As for a reference on replacing the
studs, I don't know, I doubt you will find something on that specific
issue but you never know. *It is not rocket science though. *What is
on the other side of the wall - is it interior or exterior? *Basically
the studs (a) hold up the ceiling, etc. above them (which may or not
be important depending on whether this is a load-bearing or non-load-
bearing wall) and (b) provide something to attach the walls to. *The
new studs don't necessarily have to be exactly where the old ones
were, except there may be a drywall seam on the other side where both
ends must be supported. *You could cut out the rotten parts and just
replace them with new wood, attaching old to new with strips of
plywood or 1X lumber on each side. *It's kind of situation specific
and the best course may depend on access, etc. *The less banging you
have to do the less chance of cracking the drywall elsewhere.

Anybody using these 'fiberglass' tub enclosures. Wish they had been
available when we originally built the house in 1970!

We replaced our 36 year old bath tub with shower head several years
ago. After ongoing problems with those 'bath surround' kits, and that
in the original build we had not used cement board to fasten the
surrounds to! (Ok; just a word to the group's 'Word Police'; excuse
the preposition at end of that sentence!).

Because ours is an interior bathroom with 24 inch door (and even at
that had to remove door and door box), we had to use a 3 piece unit
and assemble it within our very small bathroom. Very pleased with the
result over the last three/four years.
If was building new would put a one piece f.glass tube with shower
near an exterior wall so that it could more easily be replaced after
say 30 to 40 years.