Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Blass Robert Blass is offline

Default Trying to find KWH of fans?

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:55:33 -0400, "Colbyt"
sayd the following:

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:08:24 -0700 (PDT), BobK207
sayd the following:

The fan maker's own website says 170 watts but does not say what it is
at Low or Medium speeds. This was why I wanted to know. Also I wanted
to know because I am going manic crazy making charts on the energy use
in my home. I'm trying to shave off about $100 on my electric bill. At
7.608 cents per KwH you can see how things add up quick.

Sorry to rant, thanks

7.608 per KWH is actually a pretty decent rate for most of the US.

A fan or two running are not your major users here. Your AC as you posted
is your largest.

A few tips to help you lower the bill in order of importance:

When was the last time you changed the AC filters?
Or cleaned the coils if you were lazy in the past?
Or had the system checked by an HVAC pro?
Elec hot water? wash the clothes in cold water!
Clean lint filter on the elec clothes dryer?
Air dry dishwasher loads?
When was the last you cleaned the coils and fan on your Fridge or freezer?

The HVAC man never cleans hardly anything saying it's 'pretty good'
right now...

Also never clean the that fridge coils deals either.

I got some work to do now...and an HVAC company to fire.