Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Any way to "measure" wire gauge in power cord?

blueman wrote:
Well, it is a 15A motor, so "technically" 14 gauge would be OK, but
I'm getting some bogging down so I thought maybe I could get a few
ounces more of power by upgrading to 12 gauge if it is not already. On
the other hand if it is already 12 gauge, seems like it would be a
waste to replace it.

The drop in as short a cord as the typical cord is likely so little as
to be significant even if it is 14ga.

As noted in earlier response, if it were a dual-voltage motor moving it
to the 240V will cut the draw (but not make any real difference otherwise).

15A would be 3/4-1 hp which is (as is typical for contractor saws) on
the underpowered side for a 10" saw.

Probably you'll get more satisfaction by improving the quality of the
sawblade and possibly going to a thinner kerf blade and ensuring blades
are quite sharp and the saw is well aligned than in the minimal benefits
of the cord gauge.

That said, if must stay on 110V and if it were by chance only a 14ga
cord, I'd certainly not recommend against changing it out but I would
still doubt it will help the problem significantly.