Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim[_6_] Tim[_6_] is offline

Default Insulated concrete forms and plumbing,electrical

On Sep 1, 12:33*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
Gonna build a new one this year,and will probably use ICF for the
outer walls.I have been looking at the Nudura ICF product line for the
last year or so,but that could change based on several factors. There
are more than a few players now in the ICF game.
* Do any of you folks have any experience with ICF const., and in
particular plumbing and electrical issues? *I would appreciate any
feedback,and will try to participate as much as possible with the
group.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Depends on exactly what you think are issues. *In exterior wall you
generally cut a trench with a hot knife or fit the wires between the
strapping. *Plumbing is put in interior wall when possible.

A couple of things to consider when choosing the ICF you want to use.

It does not matter much where the company is headquartered. *Most all use
molders around the country to make the product for them. *Ndura says they do
their own molding and that may or may not be a good thing. *You can save a
lot of money on freight if there is a molder (not the distributor) close to
you rather than truck them 1000 miles.

Most every ICF is 2.5 inches thick so the insulating value is the same.
Some come molded with the webs in place. *This saves labor but adds to
freight cost. *Others some in flat panels and are assembled on site. *Saves
fright, adds labor cost.

Most every block is 48" long, but they can be 12", 16" or 24" high. Larger
saves joints, smaller allows for versatility, especially if you want a 9'
basement. * Be sure they have all the specialty items you need for your
design. 45 degrees, taper tops, brick ledge, headers, etc. saves trying to
make something on-site. *The most common are 6 and 8 inch wall thickness,
but you can find them from 4 to 12 inches or assemble that size on-site.

Check out Wind Lock for accessories and tools used in construction.http://www.wind-lock.com/public/main/default.asp

Others ICS to considerwww.integraspec.comwww.greenblock.comwww.p olysteel.com

There are about 50 others. * *If you want to find a local distributor or
contractor, go herehttp://www.forms.org/

Edwin,
Thanks for the info,and the links.You have given me a lot to think
about,but I really appreciate the link to the tools dist.;should come
in very handy when I do the rough in electrical.
You are right about the shipping costs,and I have heard that
Nudura has but one manuf. facility.I will be making comparisons,as I
am not set on any one product at this point.

Tim