Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] horrifiedhomeowner@gmail.com is offline

Default Leak Detection

On Sep 2, 12:05*am, BobK207 wrote:
On Sep 1, 6:10*pm, wrote:

Can anyone help with this. Water is seeping into the house we just
bought. There is no sign of visible water on the ceiling or wall area.
No window or door on the wall. It comes in on the floor area under the
base boards every time there is a hard rain. This is a wood frame
house, built in 1990, had a new roof 2years ago, but we don't know who
put in on. We caulked all visible cracks outside in the stucco, and
the expansion joint. Sprayed the hose at the ground area where the
water first appears and soaked the ground, but still no water came in
during the test. We had an inspection before we bought it, that
included a roof inspection, they did not report anything wrong. Of
course they didn't report a lot of problems we later uncovered. We
don't know what to do to find where this water is coming from.

This is our first home, and its turned into a nightmare.

How about some *more information....

general location of the home
photo of the leaking area (outside, at grade, roof & any flashing in
this area)

any doors or windows in this area?

leaks during a hard rain might indicate a flashing problem or if the
water pools near the slab, bad surface drainage (poor grading)

when you say hard rain..... *thunderstorm? *an inch in an hour?

cheers
Bob

No doors or windows in the area. No major water pooling there either,
though the back patio on the other wall does have poor grading, and
the patio roof leaks, but the water does not seem to come in from that
side. And where it does first appear, is way down the other wall on
the side of the house which is away from the patio. Heavy rain, that
lasts about 1 hour is what it takes to have water appear.

To answer some questions asked by others about photos and our
location: We do have some on our website about our horror story and
the sorry inspection we had, www.badhomeinspections.info

Also this is a single story, wood frame/stucco. We're in So.Florida.
The hurricane brewing in the Atlantic is making this urgent. So we're
going to call a leak detection professional and see what they have to
say.

Still interested in any input from here though. Thanks for the