Posted to alt.home.repair
Twice Retired Twice Retired is offline

Default Low water pressure

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 04:52:21 -0500, "Twice Retired"
wrote Re Low water pressu

I have a pressure pump and tank. It is about 300 feet from the meter to my
home. The water supplier will not provide larger than a ¾" meter to
anything
other than commercial with a hefty monthly charge.
To reduce pressure drop I installed 1-1/4" from the meter to the home.
Inside, I installed a check valve, then a pressure pump and storage tank.
The set-up is quite similar to that for a well. I have a switch in the
master bathroom closet which controls the pump. The pump is not required
24/7 but only when shower, washing machine, dishwasher operates at about
the
same time. It is also energized when we have guests upstairs so there is
no
pressure drop with multiple shower and toilet use.
The pump, tank, and check valve were purchased at Lowe's and installed by
myself. I recently replaced the tank as the original, installed 14 years
ago, sprung a leak.
The check valve is important as you don't want to pressurize the
supplier's
water system.

Can a shallow well 1/2 HP jet pump with a small pressure tank and
check valve be used for an application like this?

It should work just fine except pump will cycle more often due to small
tank.