Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tbasc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Leak Detection

On Sep 1, 9:10*pm, wrote:
Can anyone help with this. Water is seeping into the house we just
bought. There is no sign of visible water on the ceiling or wall area.
No window or door on the wall. It comes in on the floor area under the
base boards every time there is a hard rain. This is a wood frame
house, built in 1990, had a new roof 2years ago, but we don't know who
put in on. We caulked all visible cracks outside in the stucco, and
the expansion joint. Sprayed the hose at the ground area where the
water first appears and soaked the ground, but still no water came in
during the test. We had an inspection before we bought it, that
included a roof inspection, they did not report anything wrong. Of
course they didn't report a lot of problems we later uncovered. We
don't know what to do to find where this water is coming from.

This is our first home, and its turned into a nightmare.

If you can find a 'forensic' architect or engineer in your area, they
may be able to help. An architect who specializes in residential
renovation might help.

In the mean time, look at the location of the leaks in relation to
windows, doors and outside paved surfaces. Windows are, in the
Charleston SC area, a major source of leaks. The joints between stucco
and window frames is a frequent problem.