Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Leak Detection

wrote:

Can anyone help with this. Water is seeping into the house we just
bought. There is no sign of visible water on the ceiling or wall area.
No window or door on the wall. It comes in on the floor area under the
base boards every time there is a hard rain. This is a wood frame
house, built in 1990, had a new roof 2years ago, but we don't know who
put in on. We caulked all visible cracks outside in the stucco, and
the expansion joint. Sprayed the hose at the ground area where the
water first appears and soaked the ground, but still no water came in
during the test. We had an inspection before we bought it, that
included a roof inspection, they did not report anything wrong. Of
course they didn't report a lot of problems we later uncovered. We
don't know what to do to find where this water is coming from.

This is our first home, and its turned into a nightmare.

Before you call structural engineers or mold experts, locate where the
water comes in. If it comes in
under an exterior wall during heavy rain, you probably have a downspout
too close to the wall, ground
improperly sloped toward the house, or a roof leak. Have you inspected
the attic during heavy rain?

Home is on a slab? Slab exposed? If so, check the bottom edge of
stucco to see if it needs caulking.
Concrete block and stucco? Stucco painted? Any plumbing in the leaky
wall? Under the slab?