Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Any refrigeration experts out there?

Steve Lusardi wrote:

That is really good info....... thank you. I think you are correct
about keeping the systems separate. Combining them will create far too
much complexity.

The real problem with this whole thing is this -40 bit.
Assuming sea water gives you an equivalent condensing
temperature of, say 70 F, which may be very optimistic, then you
need a temperature differential of 110 F. While single-stage
systems can be built to do this, thay are insanely inefficient.
A good home air conditionr can achieve an EER of 10:1 or better.
You would be lucky to get an equivalent efficiency of 0.1:1,
meaning you will expend many HP to get a TINY amount of cooling.

You would do far better to pull the Peltier coolers out of 4 or
6 in-car coolers and add a couple deep-cycle batteries to power
them between recharges. You could also get a battery protector
from the solar outfits to shut off the coolers when the
batteries run low. My guess is this system would be several
times lighter, maybe more efficient by a factor of 10 or so, and
less expensive as well as less space-consuming! With multiple
Peltier coolers, it would also be redundant, and the salt mist
makes anything on a boat less reliable, so that has to be a big
advantage.

Jon