Posted to alt.home.repair
phil scott phil scott is offline

Default I want to switch from propane heat to a heat pump, any concerns?

On Sep 1, 7:51*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
Mac Cool wrote:

I'm in North Carolina so the weather is relatively mild. *...

I lived in Durham for 8 years and had a heat pump. *It
was great until the once a year one to two weeks of snow
and ice. *The further south and the further east you
live, the better the performance. *For that reason, heat
pumps are not the way to go in the land of the damnyankee
snow.

thats true in spaes for air source heat pumps... if yoou dig deep for
ground water though, water source works in cold weather..but it has
issues, closed loop allows the addition of anti freeze... there are
contamination issues with that though...I use propelene glycol, non
toxic... ethelene glycol is poisonoous however, if someone s that
later and it leaks to the ground water you could ruin a good sized
aquafer... damages could be into the millions.

Phil scott