Posted to alt.home.repair

Default did I break my friend's lawn mower ?

On Sep 1, 9:13*pm, Duff wrote:
You say, "I borrowed my friend's..."

*That should read, "I borrowed my EX-FRIEND'S ..."

*I assure you he is definitely NOT *your friend any more. *

It's time to step up to the plate and do what is right. *Which is to
take the mower to the dealer and get it repaired or buy him a new one.

*Legally, you owe it to him anyway, so you might as well make it a
moral obligation too.

How is it that the borrower is morally or legally responsible? He
had the mower tilted while returning it. It sounds like that caused
some oil to get into the cylinder and produce some smoke when started
again. Not the right thing to do, but in my experience, not a big
problem.

The owner of the mower then decided to grossly overfill it with oil
(about a qt, 3 inches on the dipstick). That's like saying I
returned your car with some soda spilled on the floor mats and then
you decided to drive it into a lake to clean it, so now I'm
responsible for all the repairs.