Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Pool Drain Question

On Sep 1, 4:54*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Dottie wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:32 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Dottie wrote:
On Aug 31, 3:30 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 08:22:27 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

I have a cover on my swimming pool drain that is round, solid
in the middle and small squares around the outside...it is
Miami-Dade approved. *It is supposed to be held in place with
two screws. *My pool robot frequently gets caught on the lid
and I have to push it off. *Somehow one screw came out. *I need
to replace it...but none of us can swim well enough to go down
and get a closer look.

Hint- it is a lot easier to swim down to the bottom at a shallow
angle, than to try and go straight down to something.

I got a pair of goggles and a nose cover - and today I tried to
inspect the drain. *I couldn't get down far enough, just floated up
every time. *The drain appears to be held in place by the suction of
the drain - so as long as it's not disturbed it should be o.k. with
the one screw holding it. *It is shaped like the Hayward cover in the
picture but don't think it has the Hayward name on it. *My robot is a
Hayward....and it probably does need new flappers. *Everything is
closed today, I will start calling tomorrow. *Judging from today's
outing, someone has to use scuba gear to work on it or we have to
drain the pool enough to work on it. *It cost a lot to refill the
pool...the county charges extra here per gallon unless it is the first
time fill.

Do what the scuba divers do: tie a weight around your waist to keep you
on the bottom. Make sure the weight is light enough that you can get
back out.

Did I mention that you should check first to see if you can get back
out while wearing the weight? Also have someone there to rescue you if
you black out.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Note this can be VERY dangerous. Do NOT run the pump without the
drain cover installed over the drain. People can actually get stuck
to the drain by the suction or get their hair caught and be trapped
underwater and drown. Even worse things that I don't even want to
repeat can and have happened. I am not kidding about this, it seems
silly but is very serious. Uncovered pool drains are a VERY serious
saftey hazard. Please heed this warning.

Mark