Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default I want to switch from propane heat to a heat pump, any concerns?

On Aug 31, 1:32*pm, Mac Cool wrote:
I'm in North Carolina so the weather is relatively mild. I would like to
switch to a heat pump. According tohttp://hes.lbl.gov/hes/about.html, I
could conservatively save about $1600/year on heating alone. I was as
thorough as possible when completing the survey. Last year my hvac guy, a
friend of the family, told me I wouldn't recoup the cost of replacing the
propane but I'm spending thousands each winter on propane. My propane
company has kept the price right at the break even point with electric, or
a little higher when it gets cold. The central unit is 7-8 years old,
propane heat/electric ac.

I'm going to sit down and discuss this with him next week. What are my
concerns and what questions should I ask?

it ALL epends on how much you have to pay for electricity. Most
utilities have different rate tiers depending if you have electric
heat or if you have time of day or peak demand metering.

Your first step is to get all this rate info from your electric
company.

Mark