Posted to alt.home.repair

Default did I break my friend's lawn mower ?

Who was the nitwit that added an entire quart of oil to a lawn mower? That's
like trying to stuff a double quarter pounder into a newborn baby.

Anyhow, that said, the other fellow had the right idea. Drain the oil, drain
the gas, remove the plug, pull the cord a couple times to clear the
cylinder. Let it sit over night.

Most walk behind mowers take 20 ounces of motor oil, and many do not have a
fuel filter of any form.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"fredinstl" wrote in message
My lawn mower is in servicing, so I borrowed my friend's and use it
for 90 minutes or so.

I then put it back into my trunk, except that it could only fit when
tilted (with the spark plugs down, the handle up, outside of the
truck). It stays in my trunk for 2 hours, before driving the 5 minutes
to bring it back.
in retrospect, that wasn't very smart....

when my friend started it the next day, it did a huge cloud of white
smoke.
He called me to ask me what was going. I told him,
" well, not sure. it was working. Maybe oil got in the engine. just
run it, the extra oil should burn and it should be fine".

he did that for a little bit, still a lot of smoke. then he thought
maybe oil is missing. He refilled. and tried again, but couldn't start
the engine anymore.

I went back to his home to see if I could help. The oil was very
overfilled by maybe 1 quart (maybe 3 inches on the level).
we tipped it to empty the extra oil, but still couldn't start the
engine.

it is totally engine. I tried to turn the blade manually. the blade
turns but the engine seems to be stuck..

it is a Toro, self-propelled, if that makes a difference. don't
remember the engine's brand.

Any advice ? do you think it's fixable ?
thanks in advance.

Fred