Posted to rec.woodworking
jbc77 jbc77 is offline

Default A little Milk Paint help please

Have you seen:

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/unknownsurface.html

and

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/remover.html

A Lurker wrote:
My daughter requested a nightstand/endtable for her new studio apartment.
After agreeing on dimensions 21"square she changed her mind, unsure if it
would fit. The table with a drawer and lower shelf was already, cut, legs
turned, morticed, edge routed, drawer dovetailed, dry assembled, just not
glued. Rather than stop altogether to await new measurements, I asked for
a color choice. The table is all poplar since I knew it was to be
painted. I talked her out of Home Depot latex and she chose pumpkin
colored milk paint. So two coats of milk paint and two coats of BLO were
applied.

Now some good news and some bad news. A change in purchase of a couch.
The table will now fit with no modification, BUT the pumpkin color really
sucks with the new couch. I must now recolor. Looking at a pale green.

I am not sure about milk paint adhesion and covering over the darker
pumpkin and two coats of BLO (linseed oil). I'm thinking of shooting the
parts with a coat of Zinser BIN (shelac based primer) and then proceding
with 2 coats of light green milk paint, more BLO, and wax top coat. This
is certainly a lot of layers on the wood.

Other options include just milk paint over the BLO or since the table is
not assembled, sanding all down, and returning the legs slightly to get
the milk paint off. I will be calling the Milk Paint manufacturer
tomorrow for their take, but suggestions from this group would be
appreciated. Making a new table or getting a new daughter will not be
considered grin

Jerry