Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Loctite discovery

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 13:55:54 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

SNIP

This hitch is a light-duty one on a Hyundai Sonata. There are backup
plates
behind the attachment points, pre-tapped and with bolts lightly fastened
in
place. The bolts seem to have no other function. I think the whole deal is
planned just for attaching a hitch, and I was quite surprised at what I
saw.

SNIP

Hey Ed,

The bolts I mentioned in my earlier reply wouldn't appear at first
blush to "do anything" either, but in fact they hold the bumper on.
The "bumper brackets" (old term, eh?!?!) slide into the paper-work
errrr...sorry....the frame tubes, and are clamped in place by these
bolts. The appearance is that the bumper stuff looks like a backing
plate, but in fact has a more useful purpose. The trailer hitch
clamps the "frame" between itself and the bumper attach pieces.

Aha. Yes, I can see where those forward extensions from the bumpers could be
the idea -- although, as you say, it doesn't look strong enough to stand up
to anything. The bolts came out awfully easy.

I just hope it handles my trailer. I have just under 200 pounds on the
tongue, and that's all I'm ready to chance with it.

Take care on the trip.

Brian Lawson.

Thanks, Brian.