Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Red-neck lathe v2.0

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

O.K. That is a good start. Which one -- the South Bend or the
Atlas version? Each is somewhat focused on its own lathes, but most of
what they say is truly general.

Birmingham (?)

At about 25 cents a candle stick it is hard to beat.

O.K. How many vs how many you actually need? What about when
you need more? If you try some 360 brass you will find it really nice
to work.

I am sure you are right. However, with me it works almost the other way
round: When I see something I ask myslef "Could it be useful?" and if the
answer is yes, I offer the distressed widow a quarter to take that junk
away...

I will not be going to heaven.

The starting current will be a lot higher than the current to
keep it running. Hmm ... can you hook a large electrolytic capacitor
across the supply to take that first surge? Something like 2000 to
10000 uF?

I think it has one already. They are pretty standard on these regulated
supplies. I shall look into it in a few days in more detail.

Those with current limiting usually have the capacitor before
the current sense, so it will be shut down by the starting spike. One
connected to the external terminals will help a log for starting surges.

Right. I need to establish first if there is a surge. A 2.5 ohm resistor
should tell me. If it shuts down with that I have other problems.

Green, IIRC.

My guess is green is
probably right as I am doing nearly the same. Without the cat. Today I
was
trying two different methods. I shall know tomorrow which one works
better.

O.K.

I used to be able to do blue but I have not tried for some time.

It will be interesting to hear what the results of the various
methods are.

Well, both sucked. Leaving it out in the open and respraying it produced a
sort of spotty ugly rash. The big surprise was the "smothered" piece - not a
tiny spot of anything! I cranked up the strength of the cat's pee and am
repeating it just now with both pieces left out - they are two different
kinds of brass. The one that refused to take any patina I *know* did so 10
years ago - but then it was blue patina:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7605638700703/

This is the green one I only did once:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7605638700703/

I was sloppy in those days, did not keep records and for the love of me
cannot remember how I did it.

I must photograph the various bits I am doing now. I do not think I am
describing them very well.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC