Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Loctite discovery

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

The car manufacturers are arguing against that these days, Bruce. All of
the
structure down there is thin HSLA steel. It doesn't like welding.

This hitch is a light-duty one on a Hyundai Sonata. There are backup
plates
behind the attachment points, pre-tapped and with bolts lightly fastened
in
place. The bolts seem to have no other function. I think the whole deal is
planned just for attaching a hitch, and I was quite surprised at what I
saw.

I keep waiting for the day when Michigan rust ruins the integrity of my
Saturn SL1's
hitch. The rest of the car may be toast by then. It seems to be bolted
though the trunk
sheet metal but is working okay so far.

My latest loads.

http://garage-machinist.com/usenet/rcm/4x8_window.jpg
http://garage-machinist.com/usenet/rcm/rohm_score.jpg
http://garage-machinist.com/usenet/r...ation_work.jpg

Wes

That's a nice little utility trailer. I could use something like that. Right
now, all I'm doing it taking my son's furniture to college in a U-Haul. I
was supposed to be out of here today, but everything went haywire.
Fortunately, we don't have to be there until Thursday.

--
Ed Huntress