Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default hard steel

Kelly Jones wrote:
"Mark Rand" wrote in message
Don't bother with lathe or mill for trimming the corners. The
bandsaw will do
the job with less effort. If it is too big for the vice, clamp it
vertically
and feed very gently until the blade has cut a flat for itself.

If the piece really has got a deep heat-hardened edge, compromise
slightly on
flywheel size and trim the HAZ off with the bandsaw.

Mark Rand
RTFM

That worked great. I have also determined that it isn't hard
throughout, just about 0.050 deep all along the cut surface. I also
checked the mill for looseness. All I found was some unexpected
backlash inthe spindle. I suspect that as someone else said it was
near it's resonante frequency and the cutter was bouncing back and
forth in the backlash as it cut. I bumped up the speed to around 850
RPM and reduced the cut to less than half the cutter diameer and no
more than 0.100 deep (0.030 deep near the HAZ) and all seems to be
working out.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am curious now about the backlash in the spindle. This is a "new"
machine, one owner, and low hours. (It's a Grizzly
vertical-horizontal mill.) I haven't seen any wat to adjust this
backlash. IT appears to be in the spline between the spindle and the
drive shaft. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

I have a new RF45 clone , it also has backlash in the spindle . Is yours
gear drive ? I'm sure most all of mine is in the drivetrain ... doesn't seem
to make any difference , except a lotta noise on interrupted cuts .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"