Posted to alt.home.repair
rms649 rms649 is offline

Default Removing recessed light (new construction housing)

I need to repair the wiring in an "eyeball" type 4" canister light in
a plaster lathe ceiling. It won't budge and I can't feel any clips
through the slits in the side so I assume it is in a "new
construction" rather than "remodel" type housing and is screwed into
the joists. It is in a first floor room ceiling so there is no access
from above (unless I tear up the hardwood floor overhead). Is there
any way to remove the can without digging one or two large holes in
the ceiling to gain access?