Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Reverse polarity outlet fix?

Bob M wrote:
In the process of selling a home and the inspector detected two duplex
outlets with "reverse polarity". He states that the installer reversed the
breaker box as well and that is why they work (?)

What must one do to correct this polarity issue? Advice, examples, etc?
Thanks.

???
If the installers also reversed the wires at the breaker, the outlets
would be back to the correct polarity. When I moved in here, about half
the outlets were reversed. I replaced them all with 3-holers tied to the
grounded boxes. Took a couple of hours.

Make sure all the breakers are wired the with the same colors to the
same screws, and then rewire the reversed outlets to match a known good
outlet. If you are not comfortable doing this, call an electrician- it
all should take him less than an hour. Your inspector does not sound too
knowledgeable- you may want to have the electrician eyeball the rest of
the wiring while he is there.

--
aem sends...