Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Privacy Fence w/ Post 10' Apart

wrldruler wrote:
I have an existing 6' privacy fence. Had to take down a 20' section to
bring in a new shed, and because I wanted to rebuild the existing
gate.

Everywhere I read that the posts should be no more than 8' apart. I
think due to sagging.

But I have found that a decent size pickup truck can't fit through a
8' opening. So I want a section of the fence to be 10' foot wide. So
if I ever need to bring a truck in again, I can take down the section,
and the truck can have 10' to drive through.

Any advice on building a section of the fence using 10' stringers
instead of 8'? How do I prevent sagging? Should I use double 2x4's?
Should I upgrade to 2x6's? Should I use cross-supports?

1. Put a post in the middle, but not sunk in the ground. It merely rests on
a concrete block.
2. Use three or four stringers instead of two. Turn them such that the 4"
side is vertical.
3. Use diagonal bracing.
4. Don't put up a fence, put up a gate (that's closed most of the time).
Each half of the gate would be five feet with suitable diagonal bracing.