Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Drilling holes in aluminum?

wrote in message
I have a 1/8th thick aluminum bar 36 inches long and 2 inches wide
that I want to drill some 5/16 inch holes into and bend to 90
degrees. Could a hand held drill be used to drill the holes or would
I be better off taking it to a machine shop. If a hand held would do
it what specifications would the drill have to have to do it?

Thanks.

Almost any drill should do the job. Maybe cleaner with a hole punch - don't
know if it comes this small, my smallest hole punch is something like 1/2".
Don't expect problem bending it to 90 degrees, but with aluminum, you never
know until you've tried it.