Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Drilling holes in aluminum?

On Sep 1, 5:33*am, wrote:
I have a 1/8th thick aluminum bar 36 inches long and 2 inches wide
that I want to drill some 5/16 inch holes into and bend to 90
degrees. *Could a hand held drill be used to drill the holes or would
I be better off taking it to a machine shop. *If a hand held would do
it what specifications would the drill have to have to do it?

Thanks.

I learned YEARS ago that aluminum can be easily worked with common
wood working tools.

Miter saw, table saw, router, drills just use sharp carbide blades /
bits.

What alloy are you using? Most common extruded shapes are 6061 or
6063.

Flats (what you have) can be a wider range.

I would strongly suggest laying out the hole pattern & center punching
the holes locations BUT bend the material BEFORE drilling the holes.

The hole will change the local stiffness of the bar & the bar might
have a tendency to "kink" at the holes when you bend it.

Once the bar is bent you can grip the bar in a vise or "work mate" or
clamp it to a 2x

Drill 1/8" & then go for it with the finished size...... a little
kerosene would help but anything is better than nothing, high speed is
better than slow speed.

If you have any waste material do some practice drilling

cheers
Bob