Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using external planer resources

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I was talking to a friend who suggested that I take my newly constructed
tabletop to the services of a local woodshop for final planing. The logic
being that they are equipped to handle objects far far wider than anything
I could have as a woodworker and passing my tabletop through the planer one
more time would absolutely ensure the tabletop was flat, planar, and
minimize any finishing that I would have to do.

Does that seem like decent advice, or are you all thinking "why isn't the
finished tabletop perfectly flat to begin with?"

That is what I'd do. Planer or belt sander. I'm going to build some end
tables in the next few months and that is what I plan to do with the tops.
Considering my time and money invested, a few more bucks for perfection is
well worth it. The top is the most visible part of a table.