Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kelly Jones Kelly Jones is offline

Default hard steel

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
Don't bother with lathe or mill for trimming the corners. The bandsaw will
do
the job with less effort. If it is too big for the vice, clamp it
vertically
and feed very gently until the blade has cut a flat for itself.

If the piece really has got a deep heat-hardened edge, compromise slightly
on
flywheel size and trim the HAZ off with the bandsaw.

Mark Rand
RTFM

That worked great. I have also determined that it isn't hard throughout,
just about 0.050 deep all along the cut surface. I also checked the mill
for looseness. All I found was some unexpected backlash inthe spindle. I
suspect that as someone else said it was near it's resonante frequency and
the cutter was bouncing back and forth in the backlash as it cut. I bumped
up the speed to around 850 RPM and reduced the cut to less than half the
cutter diameer and no more than 0.100 deep (0.030 deep near the HAZ) and all
seems to be working out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am curious now about the backlash in the spindle. This is a "new"
machine, one owner, and low hours. (It's a Grizzly vertical-horizontal
mill.) I haven't seen any wat to adjust this backlash. IT appears to be in
the spline between the spindle and the drive shaft. Any thoughts would be
appreciated.

thanks