Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32074 Ignoramus32074 is offline

Default PICTURES -- Uniq 3 axis DRO on my Bridgeport

On 2008-09-01, David Billington wrote:
Wes wrote:
Ignoramus3863 wrote:

10 millionths precision? Really?

Would not be very easy to ascertain its actual accuracy... I am open
to suggestions, maybe I will learn something.

Is a grinder missing its scales somewhere?

Since the scales are attached to slides that have clearance, even with the gibs adjusted,
you will never position with the as accuratly as your scales read out.

I think I'd put a strip of tape down the least significant digit column so it won't be so
distracting.

My neighbour fitted a similar DRO and the excessive accuracy was
annoying so we used the tape route. It worked so well with black tape on
a black display surround that we forgot about it, the he called me over
to make sense of something and I spent 5 minutes or more trying to
figure out why a digit entered when setting it seemed to go missing or
require adding a second time, then it dawned on me we had put the tape
on, doh!. It got removed and the annoying high precision is lived with.
It could do with having one less decimal place.

I can think of worse problems in my life than those last digits. At
least they do not flicker constantly changing 5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7 etc.

The more I test that DRO, the more highly I think of its accuracy.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/