Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Loctite discovery

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:29:29 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

With my car up on ramps, installing a new trailer hitch from underneath, I
made an interesting discovery today. I don't work upside-down much anymore
and I get things a little backwards; I squeezed a tube of Loctite 242 onto
my favorite baseball cap and into my mouth.

There were two discoveries, actually. First, Loctite washes out of your hat
with soap and water, if you get it quickly. Secondly, it's as sweet as sugar
water. In fact, it tastes a lot like Prestone Antifreeze.

'Just thought you'd want to know, in case you ever wondered about it. If
anyone gets to taste gasket cement, please let us know what the flavor of
that's like, too. d8-)

Hey Ed,

Empirical testing and evidence is best, but I don't think I would have
the nerve you do, to do that kinda useful customer report. Thank
You!! (I'll know what to do next time my wife needs a "Sweet&Low for
her coffee!!)

Besides, I can't figure out what you were doing with Loctite and a
trailer hitch. Having just had a new Reece put on my mini-van Friday,
it became apparent that the best product to apply was "Nev'r'Seez" or
"Masters Metallic". 2 of 4 bolts snapped off during the removal
stage, and one took three "nut welds" and a strong application of a
new "E-Z-OUT" before surrendering! Anti-seize was liberally applied
to the new bolts!!! (I hope to have a newer van in a few months, and
will be very pleased if this hitch fits it too.)

By the way, the "E-Z-OUT" set was brand-new (first use) and a style I
had not seen before. It comes in a nice little box with 5 sizes, each
with it's own LH drill-bit (of excellent quality by-the-way). There
are also guide-bushings for the bits. A size is selected, drilled as
deep as possible, and the matching splined hard pin is hammered home
and a matching splined-hole hex placed on it and turned. Worked a
treat. Mechanic says "Well, that just paid for itself!" although I
didn't ask the price. I can get details for any further interest
here.

Take care. Happy Labour Day!! Great day for us as we just gained a
daughter-in-law last night!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.