Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Frazier Rick Frazier is offline

Default Reciprocating saws (Sawzall) - shorter stroke, orbital action???

Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:28:47 -0400, Some Guy wrote:

What are the pro's and con's of a shorter stroke (3/4" vs 1.25") and how
does the orbital action feature work (and why whould I want it) ???

All depends on what you are intending to use it for... If you are
entirely (and I really mean entirely) using it for rough woodworking,
demo and the like, then the orbital feature will cut faster,
particularly with a coarse tooth blade.
However, if you intend to do anything with thinner stock, or _EVER_ use
it on pipe or sheet metal, you don't want the orbital action because you
will fight it to the point you either botch the job, break the blade, or
throw the whole thing in the nearest river, depending on your patience
and temperament...

Though the (usually less expensive) non-orbital action doesn't cut as
fast in thick wood, it is much more controllable in thinner stock, and
with some finesse, you can use "metal" capable blades (10-15tpi) on
thinner wood stock and get a passably smooth cut that requires little
clean up, compared to any blade with the orbital action. You can also
cut pipe (plastic and/or steel) much easier with a standard action and
actually get away with cutting sheet metal in a pinch...

I originally bought a regular cutting saw (Makita), and a some time
later, one that offered orbital action, which rapidly went to a friend
as I just didn't like the feeling and comparatively limited uses I could
put it to, compared to the regular cutting action.

Whatever you choose, if you're doing rough carpentry, after a while
you'll wonder how you did without one...

--Rick