Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Minor door repair advise needed..

aemeijers wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
wrote:

The door leading into the garage was slightly damaged
yesterday when the moves bumped a furniture against the edge
of the door.. The damage is about 2 inches in length. If I
hire a handyman to fix this, what needs to be done to restore
the door?

I got some pictures of the damage he
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0002.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0003.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0004.JPG
I do this type of repair all the time.
* Apply wood filler. Make sure it extends higher than the
original surface of the wood. I like Elmer's brand, because
it's easy to work and readily available.
* Let it dry overnight, or as long as the instructions say.
* Use fine sandpaper to sand the filler down to the original
surface level. Put in some grooves to match the existing fake
wood grain if you feel artsy-fartsy.
* Clean off all the dust.
* Paint it. You'll obviously get the best result if you paint
the whole door, but you can do a pretty good job if you thin
out the paint some and feather the edges.
* Put on another coat of paint if you can still see the filler
through the first coat.

This would only take me half an hour or so, but I would have to
make two trips to your house, so I would charge you for two
hours ($80 total). I would, however, offer to fix other stuff
to fill out the two hours.

Too bad you aren't up here in SW Michigan. At those rates, I have
a whole list of piddly repairs that I'll never get around to,
that you could take care of for me.

Where are you in Michigan? I lived in Holland for four years, and I
had a ball performing every year at the Tulip Time Festival.

An hour or so SE, in Surreal City, Battle Creek.

I drove through there once on the way east, but we didn't have time to
look around. I hear it's a nice place.

Being from Texas/New Mexico, the Winters in Holland were fun. Growing
up, I never saw more than six inches of snow at one time. Since Holland
is downwind of Lake Michigan, it gets lake effect snow, and they
average seven feet a year. One winter I had to plow my driveway every
night for two weeks. A shopping center plowed up a snowpile bigger than
my house, and it didn't melt until the end of July.

Thanks for the memories.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement