Posted to alt.home.repair
CraigT[_2_] CraigT[_2_] is offline

Default How to fix exterior buried coax cable?

"RBM" wrote in message

"CraigT" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:04:29 -0400, "CraigT"
wrote:

First off, let me say that whoever installed this cable was an idiot.
Cable
was buried maybe 2" down and snaked out away from the house 6 feet then
back
then back 4 feet into a flower bed and toward my front porch then back
out
again toward the array of utility boxes in the front yard.

You guessed it. When I was dividing some Daylilies today I cut it (not
that
I knew until after my shower, when I wanted to watch some football).

All my experience is with interior cable.

I was going to leave the twist on connectors I've already installed on
the
cable right where they are, and then put in a regular nickel plated
coupler,
and then shrink wrap it. Is this good enough?

Call the cable TV provider if that's what the cable is. As far as I
know the cable has to be buried much deeper than two inches per the
cable companies own standards. If it is damaged because of an improper
installation then the cable company must fix it.

After doing some investigating because of the replies here, I figure the
cable company would probably cost me about the same as buying a crimping
tool ($25 shipped ebay), some compression fittings, and that seal tape,
but if I can get it done for free that would be great. I'll call.

I bought this house three years ago. It was built in 2001 and I've surely
gotten to see what shortcuts happen in new construction, but I'll have to
say this surprised me. I have to believe the cable came before the
flower bed, but maybe not, there are some good sized trees in the
landscaping. Here is a picture from 2005 when I bought the house:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/GLR2HM.jpg

Apparently they laid the cable on top of the topsoil and laid the sod on
top of that. All the utility entrances are on the side of the house, but
maybe 2 feet back. That utility box array is about 40 feet from the front
of the house and off to the side maybe 10 feet (I'm sure it's shared with
the neighbor). I saw the cable coming out of the entrance to the house
and running out sideways from the house down that 2 inches I mentioned
earlier. So, I assumed it probably ran out that 10 feet and then the 40
feet to utility boxes.

Even if the landscaping came after the cable, why would they leave all
that slack in the run and have it snake out, then back toward the house?
I see it leaving the flower bed (that 2 inches down) and heading toward
the boxes, but who knows what route it takes.

If you do decide to get a tool and fittings, make sure you understand that
a crimping tool and a compression tool are two completely different
things, and not interchangeable. You want a compression tool and
compression fittings. There are also different RG-6 compression fittings
for various types of cable shielding

I'm sorry I mis-typed. Yeah, when I first saw the tool I was wondering how
it crimped, but then I figured it out that it pushes the compression ring up
inside the wire side of the connector. I guess I'll probably fix this thing
myself, then I'll have the supplies laying around for my next surpise.
Plus, I'll get to buy a tool and usually don't pass up a chance to do that.