Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Backyard "Platform"

On Aug 30, 7:42 pm, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
On Sat 30 Aug 2008 02:49:09p, Pat told us...

On Aug 29, 7:32 pm, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio
or deck. I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would
be easy to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an
outdoor "room".

My idea was to use 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber laid flat at
intervals directly on the ground and anchor them to the soil with
either rebar or stakes to prevent movement. These boards would be
leveled and with a slight pitch for any water runoff. Then construct
the platform floor across these boards also using 2"x6"x12'
pressure-treated boards, attaching them with either galvanized or
stainless steel screws.

We live in the desert, so there's no concern about ground movement due
to winter heaving or damage from excessive moisture.

This would give us a 12' x 12' platform roughly 4" above the ground,
where we would place our grill and umbrella table and chairs.

Does this sound feasible?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.

It's just 4", so why not just go "acquire" some discared pallets. Lay
then down to cover the ground. Cover them with exterior plywood or
any other surface you like. Paint or use indoor/outdoor carpet. Very
cheap except for the plywood.

It's temporary and dry, so it's work for a couple of years. If you
look around, you might be able the scrounge up a free surface, too,
instead of buying plywood. Get the right pallets and you might not
even need a surface over them. Plus, it's way cool as "green" because
it's "reuse".

That sounds like an excellent idea, Pat. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1dys 7hrs 18mins
Tactics: breathmints for dyslexics

Two other thoughts:

First off, go buy one of the really nice gazebos you see people
selling. It'll cost a few bucks, but what the heck. Then, when (if)
you get around to building the new roof, you can resell it. That'll
make it relatively inexpensive, in the long run.

Plus, as a nice gazebo, with romantic lighting, a sound system, and
maybe a (relocatable spa !!!), you'll be the thoughtful husband and
maybe you'll need that privacy screen. Okay, stop fantasizing, but
it'll at least keep you out of the dog house for a week or two.

The other option to is build a 12 x 12, square, plain sort-of-gazebo
with a regular gable-end roof that your family hates. That'll
encourage them to get going on the real project. Then you push this
structure over to the corner of your land, enclose the sizes, and you
have workshop when you can go and get away from the family.