Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.contractors,alt.construction,misc.consumers.house
Craig M Craig M is offline

Default 400A resedential service

I can think of one other reason you may want a 400a service...if you have
on demand water heater, them buggers can pull some real amps
"Craig M" wrote in message
I can think of one reason to go to that high a service, if you have a large
shop out back, lots of wood working tools, machine tools, ect, would be a
good reason to get that much juice

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
I upgraded my house from 100A to 200A 5 years ago. I buried 3" conduit
from the pole to the house.
I was told the 3" would support 400A.
At the time I did not have the money to install 400A, so I just thought I
could find a 400A panel later.
I do not think they make a residential 400A panel, and from what I have
seen it uses two 200A panels.

I am still wanting to put 400A service to my house, to try to cut on my
electric bill. ($565.00 last month).

In the 3" conduit, do they use 6 wires for the 400A to a two 200A meter
pan, or use larger wires to a 400A meter pan?

I probably will get the call an electrician, but I feel as though I can
do the install, just wanted some info on how it is done.

Thanks.