Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] sheldon.mandel@verizon.net is offline

Default Mortising with a router

On Aug 30, 6:38 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
wrote:

mortices by hand can be a pain because the router gets tippy. On a
router table, it's easy - just set the fence, and use stop blocks to
control the length of the cut.. You will also have to chisel the
corners square, or use rounded tenons. (you could even cut the tenons
a little shorter, but it's not a good idea.)

handheld, you can set up a jig to support the router, and clamp stop
blocks to it. take light passes! 1/4 inch

I always preferred a plunger with extra support over the table for
router mortises, due to the "fun" of lowering the work onto a spinning bit.

I've done lots both ways and never got comfy with the table.

it's not too bad if you take light passes... I have a Milwaukee 2 1/4
fixed base in the table.. I can actually raise the bit up into the
work while the router is on.... not fun to do for a lot of work though!