Mike Hide

Default Big threads with 1-1/2 inch Beall Thread cutter

If I recall correctly I saw an article on making large wood threads with a
router some time ago perhaps in FWW...mjh

--
mike hide

"Steven" wrote in message
om...
I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the Beall BIG thread cutters

I only hear good things about the Beall so they must do a good job,
but I have this nagging question to clear up before I spend big bucks
for the thread kit and a 1-3/8 inch drill bit.

OK here is the question: The dowel diameter is 1-1/2 inch, the drill
hole diameter is 1-3/8 inch which I believe gives a thread height of
only 1/16 inch. Or if the thread height is deeper thre would still
only be 1/16 of thread overlap between the "nut" and the "bolt". Isn't
that rather shallow for a big wooden thread? I want to make a heavy
wood screw for an old fashioned looking leg vice. The threads should
look like wood threads not fine metal threads.

Bye the way, the 1-1/2 inch Beall cuts 5 threads per inch which would
be a nice course thread, if not for the apparent shallow depth.

I would love to hear from anyone who has actually used this tool.
What do the threads look like? How much catch is there between the
"bolt" and the "nut" threads.