Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Any refrigeration experts out there?

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Stupendous Man writes:

... but no mention of automotive as it hadn't been done yet.

R12 mobile refrigeration was developed in the 1930s and used in WWII.

I once saw a 1940 Packard on a used car lot that had a large evaporator
mounted under the rear package shelf. It had a large V-twin compressor and
it all appeared to be factory installed. I think several of the luxury car
manufacturers were starting to offer air conditioning about that time. It
seems to me that Nash was the first to offer it in the lower price cars,
around 1952 as I recall. I have owned a 1954 Packard, a 1955 Cadillac, and
a 1957 Olds convertible, all with factory air conditioning. It seemed very
common at that time in the desert southwest US.

I saw a mid-fifties Chrysler which had the condenser lying nearly horizontal
under the front bumper pan. It was also unusual in that it used R-22
refrigerant.

Don Young